10.26.2009

A Friday of "Firsts"

Last Friday in the wind and rain I went down to Romni and shopped with Brenda!
  • It was the first time I've ever met anyone in person that I previously only "knew" on line.
  • It was the first time I've ever wandered around a yarn shop with another knitter.
  • It was the first time I've ever gone to Romni and left without buying anything.

It was great fun as Brenda in person is every bit as happy and positive as her profile picture and her writing on her blog makes her seem. And she is very knowledgeable about yarn - she credits her time working in a yarn shop - whereas I'm honestly just starting to be able to envision what a worsted weight looks like compared to a double knitting yarn and can sometimes summon typical gauges for same, Brenda has all that stuff on the tip of her tongue.

Brenda also knows full well what she likes/wants/will consider whereas I'm still highly suggestible and have to kind of work at focusing rather than doing the visual equivalent of word association - being drawn to lovely things, forgetting what I'm actually looking for and then once engaged with the lovely thing, being then drawn away to another and so on and so on and so on.

Fortunately I did manage to remember to compare the Eco Pur Alpaca colourway I won last week at the DKC with the others at Romni and decided I am going to switch it for "Silver".

Unfortunately I got so caught up in visiting with Brenda I forgot to take any pictures!
I do have this though - a very kind and thoughtful gift Brenda brought me from up near where she lives/knits/blogs. Very "sweet" of her!

As for my Monday morning today - I have another "first" planned - MY FIRST STEEK CUTTING! But first I have to wait for my camera batteries to charge - I wouldn't think of doing such a thing without bringing everyone along for the ride!

4 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Sounds like you had a fun day meeting up with Brenda. She sounds very knowledgeable about yarn. I'm more like you in that I can get a bit lost on what I go in to look for, sometimes I'm not quite sure what to look for, and, often, I get confused and leave with nothing or something that's just "pretty" and I'm not totally sure what I'll do with it. lol

Good luck with your steeking today! Can't wait to see and read all about it. :-)

Sandra said...

My necessity for my first steek cutting was a wee dram (or two) of Scotch. Didn't help, but it sure didn't hurt!

Brenda said...

Such kind words. Thanks for the fun on Friday.

Lupie said...

I have done all of your firsts but the steeking. So scary!!!
Can't wait to see how it goes.