5.16.2014

Sockhead Hat by Kelly McClureFO


Pattern: "Sockhead Hat" by Kelly McClure
Source: Free Ravelry Download
Yarn: Tanis Fiber Arts Sock
Source: DKC Frolic
Modifications: None

Started as a lark, more to use up the yarn than anything while car knitting to NYC over Christmas but most of its construction occurred over three evenings in T.O. watching the Star Wars Trilogy.

Around and around and around knitting mindlessly in the dark with only the Stars of the "Galaxy", the blue-white flash of explosions and the flickering of the fire to see by. In other words I just knit but never really paid any attention to it.

Then quite suddenly it seemed to materialize into a hat.

Then again, without any real expectation to do so, I wore thing.  It pulled so nicely down over my ears with a generous ribbed brim it was long enough to cover my neck, under my cowl and scarf, creating a complete block against the wind, once the collar of my coat was turned up.

It also turns out that it goes with a lot of things!  The yarn in the skein was such a riot of equal parts garish green, pink, blue and white I thought it would be an orphan for sure but the net affect once knitted up is very chameleon-like. The pieces I wear with it with visually dictating what will appear prominent among the colours of the hat.

Its such a great piece a couple of other knitters from Craft Group have whipped up Sockhead hats of their own after seeing mine!

Bottom line on this free pattern is it is meant to use that single skein of multicoloured sock yarn, will work equally well with any solid or marled colour if that's what you prefer and Darling Daughter tells me the shape and fit make it bang on trend right this red hot minute. Its all a surprise to me!


4 comments:

Lorraine said...

And Hudson looks so handsome in it!

Brendaknits said...

Thanks for the positive review. I had looked at that hat on ravelry and proclaimed it dorky. You have encouraged to look again. With fresh eyes.

Acorn to Oak said...

I love that pattern too! I've made a couple sockhead hats and I have a feeling I'll be making more. I love how it feels, fits, and looks and so does my daughter and my husband. Enjoy your new hat! :-)

Acorn to Oak said...

I love that pattern too! I've made a couple sockhead hats and I have a feeling I'll be making more. I love how it feels, fits, and looks and so does my daughter and my husband. Enjoy your new hat! :-)