11.29.2012

Shaking Hands

They say it takes a village to raise a child.

For this idea to work, however, the child best feel a member of that "village" too. We found teaching a proper handshake a great way to give the kids an instantly positive way to connect with adults. Without exaggeration that handshake has prompted numerous great interactions and even friendships and the attention of "The Village" has borne much fruit over our span of kid's lives.

This past summer one such relationship between Number One Son and a couple in their 60's was of almost indescribable benefit to him.

We are talking about benefits that a thank you note can't sufficiently acknowledge. My Beloved and I and particularly our son will forever be indebted to these people for their efforts on our behalf. We will always feel we "owe them". And of course, like any significant but heartfelt gesture they do not feel that to be the case at all.

So of course this is where the knitting comes in right? What better way to thank them than with a gesture demonstrating time, thought and care? Beyond that, what about something that evokes the initial connection between them and our once wee boy with the confident little hand outstretched in greeting? What about mittens?!

These are active outdoors-loving people. They are also the kind of people who appreciate craftsmanship and quality and take great pride in their own creations and projects.Don't you think they'll appreciate hard wearing woolly wool mittens? You're probably not surprised to hear I do!

So ...

For him I'm using a Newfoundland "Trigger Mitten" pattern that features an independent index finger to make it useful for working outside while the other three fingers cozy up together in a mitten-like section just for them.

I'm using Briggs and Little "Regal" for durability in "Fir Green" - the colour of the work pants he invariably sports on weekends.

I'm putting it all together with the twined knitting technique using the same 60 stitch count as I worked the ladies mittens on. This time with slightly heavier yarn and 4mm needles rather than 3mm or 3.5mm I'm getting a bigger size by about an inch around to better suit a man's hand.

I'm very happy with the results.

For the gentleman's wife (a competitive gymnast in her youth she is very petite.) I'm toying with a striped pair in finer yarn and smaller needles but with the same stitch count. (I'm not imagining this will be an interesting factoid to either of them but if it works out it will amuse me to no end!)

Working the tough yarn at the tight gauge is giving me knots in my shoulders the size of lemons but no matter. I distract myself with the satisfaction of feeling like I'll be making a gesture that starts to convey to these wonderful people how much their attention has meant to us. (And I admit maybe thinking more than a little bit about the mitts for his wife while I'm at it!)

3 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Sounds like a big, wonderful thing they did. I wonder what it was. The color on the mitten in the photo is really pretty! I have a basket exactly like that. It was my mom's. She received it at her bridal shower over 50 years ago. :-)

Sandra said...

What a great idea! And I love the factoid about the stitch count!

Brendaknits said...

The mittens look great. As does the home decor in the background.