10.02.2012

Summer Squared

This summer was to be a relaxing time (versus the unrelaxing first half of 2012) But Summer 2012 had its own ideas for me/us and so, with a brain too busy/exhausted/distracted to work on challenging knits I started knitting rectangles.

First rectangle to hit the needles was this baby blanket...

Starting with a garter edge of fuzzy, felt-ready, deeply golden Sheppard Classic Worsted I switched for the body of the blanket to remnants of Moda Dea superwash with clean braided form, modern,  fuzz-less texture and a cool yellow hue.

My plan was to knit the Moda Dea to depletion and then insert a stripe of some other worsted, finishing with  golden Sheppard Classic edge for a kind of graphic effect. So off I went just knitting away on autopilot...

...K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3P3K3...

When my 3 remnant balls of yarn were consumed a few days later I took a long look at the thing for the first time and was shocked to see it was super wavy - my tension, as my father used to say, was "up and down like a toilet seat".

Steaming killed the waves but the wonky stockinette stitches sprinkled here and there stubbornly remain.

Too bad. I'll insert the new colour that's yet to be determined, finish off the second edge and see whether its giftable or too wonky for anything other than the "For Family" box.

Sometimes its okay to just get a grip and say "good enough...'could be better, but doesn't need to be this time".

I do so love the colour though...now what to put with it? Hmmmmmm...



2 comments:

Brendaknits said...

As a woman who aspires to mediocrity, my sayng is " sometimes good enough is good enough".
Loooks good to me.

Lara said...

See, I think that "wonky" = from my loving hands. So, it's beautiful and made with love ... cos' you know, anything that we make with our hands, love is a prerequisite.