12.15.2011

Guilty Pleasures

Like everyone else, I'm in the midst of the "holiday" frenzy. Its obviously swallowed up my blog posting time  but l I'm managing the odd moment to still visit knit blog land where I read pretty much every knitter is reporting being swamped with Christmas projects and deadlines.

Glenna over at Knitting to Stay Sane is even dreaming of what she'll work on Christmas day when her other deadlines have passed.

Knitting for me these days isn't a to do list, rather, its my guilty pleasure. When I crawl into bed with my herbal tea at night and in the morning with my first coffee, hours before dawn, I'm knit on things just for me.

I'm knitting what I want, on items for me to wear - someday - no rush.

Amid the rest of the December demands, knitting like this does what knitting should do for me, in my life.  Calm, engage, sooth and satisfy.

Beatnik's sleeves are done and I'm at the arm holes on the back. Taking my time and working carefully is paying off nicely and I'm pleased with the results.

I'm planning on adding short row bust darts to the front of Beatnik so I set the sweater aside for an evening or so and worked up a Bandana Cowl from the free Purlsoho pattern of the same name.

One skein of luscious Malabrigo and  a few dozen short rows later my short row technique was all freshened up and ready to go on Beatnik and I had a great new cowl to show for it as well.

When I'm too tired to take the necessary care with Beatnik I've been working on my recycled yarn project. Big yarn, big needles, big progress even if only a few minutes are dedicated to it.

As I said, little, if anything else in my Nov/Dec timetable can be described in any such glowing terms but at least  my knitting can and in these all too short, dark days, that feels pretty good!

If you're knitting to deadline though, hang in there, good luck with all of it and thanks for dropping by!


4 comments:

Brendaknits said...

I am keen to learn about the bust short row darts. Is there anything different about them compared to short rows at the back for lengthening purposes?

Acorn to Oak said...

My knitting projects lately have been for me too. No rush, just fun. It's hard to put it down to work on my holiday to-do's. :-/

juicyknits said...

No deadline knitting for me either, so I'm enjoying some things for me me me. :)

Needles said...

Oh my. Reading this right now has just given me a world of calm and peace and restored the seasons proper peace to my little corner of the world. You may have written a few days ago, but it helped right now, exactly when I needed it. Bless you and yours and have a wonderful Christmas.