5.06.2009

In the Garden

I'm enthralled with the combinations of soft, almost imperceptible pink and that lit-from-within bright green that the garden seems to be bursting with at this time of year...

"Parrot" tulips - the name is so apt - the essence of beaks and feathers all at the same time!

Euonamous alata "Burning Bush" - the pink will disappear once the the leaves on this fully emerge...
Oh so showy heuchera - who needs flowers when you can get this all season long?!...
I love their position in the garden that allows for this spectacular effect of back lighting in the mid afternoon and the combination of this plant with this frilly Hosta inherited from my Grandfather's and then my Mother's gardens...
The hummingbird comes early in the morning to sip from each of these adorable little bells on the Pulmonaria...
The deep red blossoms of climber rose "Don Juan" are still weeks away but I can wait as between now and then, again there's that interplay of pink and green delicately asserting itself all along the canes.

All this is keeping me entertained as I attend to the more mundane and slightly depressing work of seeing to planting that should have been done a month or more ago...
The weather is still fairly cool - especially at night and the 14 day forecast seems to be holding with that pattern so I'm going to push my luck.  At worst I'll learn something - at best we'll have something to show for it in the end. 
This year We have a bunny who hops through the yard morning and evening so I didn't plant my usual lettuces and I'm holding off on parsley as well - I don't want to make him feel too welcome! Its also good to change things up and give the soil a break from the usual suspects.

With rain in the days ahead I'm going to finish topdressing and top seeding the lawns and maybe even divide a couple of perennials this morning.

I hope you have a great day, wherever you are and whatever you're doing.  Thanks for dropping by! 

1 comment:

Acorn to Oak said...

Time spent outside can be so uplifting and refreshing. It sounds like you had a lovely day in your garden. :-)