3.04.2009

'Could Have Sworn This Was a KNIT Blog...

Sadly, there's little knitting going on chez Sel and Poivre. Instead its all renovation all the time so if I'm going to blog about anything - the construction topic will have to be it. I'm scrambling to stay a step ahead of the contractor with selections, choices and ordering/picking up materials because they are cruising along at a good pace. In fact the final coat of mud was applied to the new walls today.

A big part of yesterday and today was choosing final paint colours.

I enjoy picking paint - especially picking colours in the fantasy stage of a project when the possibilities in a fanned out paint deck seem limitless. 
At the start of redecorating a room any thing's possible. I variously envision the space in vibrant equal tones or maybe in a rainbow of soft milky neutrals. I dream of deep, dramatic, brooding colours or a neutral room with one hit of bright, vibrant colour. The paint deck is great for this part of a project. Its inspiring and lets me pretend I know what I'm doing!

Plus, while shopping, I find the unfettered potential in the paint deck in the bottom of my bag keeps the reality of, well, reality from wrecking everything. Budgets, space constraints, doors and hallways that preclude delivery of over sized items and even other people having their own opinions aren't nearly as pleasant as the blissful, any thing's possible world of colour that the paint deck embodies.

Once into the project though, reality gets into the paint deck. Yesterday it was the reality of minimizing the impact of what can only be described as the "acreage" of the new television. It reduced that array of colours to this...
I was hoping to find a colour that would visually "melt" the TV into the wall - along with all the blinking bits and pieces and speakers that go along with it. I determined that dark grey was the best colour for that but which deep grey is best for the room? It took a ridiculous amount of time and energy to arrive at my final selection and that was only one of four colours I'll ultimately be using in that one room. So I persevered and as of tonight I feel like all the paint selections for the basement work are done.

Unfortunately, as of this morning I determined I also need to re think a couple of rooms on the upper floor and possibly apply some colours from downstairs, upstairs as well to tie everything in together.  Knitting is getting the short stick again tonight hence a blog post that 's devoid of knitting. Kind of odd - since I could have sworn this was a KNIT blog!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is exactly why I made sure NOT to promise to blog only about knitting -- sometimes knitting just doesn't get done! I don't understand renovation projects though (I mean the process, not the why), so I'm afraid I sort of skimmed this post. Still, I wish you luck!

Sandra said...

wanna come to my place and paint my main floor, hallway, upstairs, basement...
you get the picture - we have lots to paint, and no time in which to do it...