3.17.2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This is Sheldon.

Look how the clever use of shaping creates a nose and mouth for the little guy!

Sheldon was made using leftover bits of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. His body (except for the legs) is knit in one piece and then you knit him a shell that can be taken on and off. I guess you could call it a "turtle neck sweater?"

His legs and body stick out through the holes.

The stitch for making the top of his shell is one I've never tried before. Often my mind gets in the way of doing something new and different when I incorrectly anticipate what might come next - so I followed the directions line by line without thinking about what I was doing or looking at the results until I was well into it and just for some insurance did this while watching a movie. In 20 or 30 minutes, like magic, I had this amazingly appropriate piece for the back of an adorable little turtle with no sense of how it was accomplished!

I did opt to make Sheldon's head a bit smaller than the pattern called for. The recipient of the finished Sheldon is two and a half years old and I wanted the head to easily slide through the shell when taking it on and off.

I love making stuffed animals like Sheldon. You don't have to worry about gauge or fit and using up left over yarn is very satisfying. In fact I'm told the only time I look relaxed while I'm knitting is when I'm making little stuffed creatures like this!