I'm now well into integrating the adjustments from the first sleeve to the second on the saddle shoulder tee and so far its going well.  I should have been done within a couple of evenings except that immediately after completing the last sleeve there was a yarn-related incident with the dog that has forced a quantum adjustment to my process with this knit.

Like lots of knitters, I set up little knitting camps for projects with multiple or complex (for me) charts or when I have to track rows across more than one element at a time. I spread my stuff out on a table and leave the knitting atop all of it - needles splayed out to the sides just as I was holding them when I stopped working.  This facilitates stopping and starting with very little time spent reorienting myself to where I left off.  I can knit a row or two if I have a couple of minutes rather than a whole repeat and I don't get confused or lost. "Nibbling" away at projects can yield surprising progress for me. Unfortunately I'm having to adjust to working without a handy little camp.

This is because of a "visit" of sorts last week by Hudson to my saddle tee "camp". It was set up on the living room coffee table. We were enjoying a spaghetti dinner in the adjacent dining room at the time and I guess he felt left out. He headed for a small messy tangle of fine cotton yarn I keep with my knitting stuff (it won't stay rolled in a ball) for running life lines, basting etc.. Number One Son saw him go and followed to take it away.  Sensing an impending confiscation, Hudson made sure no one was going to get it by - SWALLOWING THE WHOLE THING!

This immediately prompted a range of reactions.  My Beloved, raised in farm country, surrounded by animals, found Hudson's act hilarious, chuckling away as he predicted a rapid, possibly dramatic reappearance of the stuff. Darling Daughter, aghast at her father's lack of concern began an impassioned lecture on insensitivity as only a twenty-something, chastising a parent can muster. Number One Son and I were kind of stunned, sickly grins frozen on our faces, wanting to laugh but less certain about the prospect for a quick or painless resolution. Hudson, licking his lips, with a distinct air of satisfaction at his victory, settled into a corner and with a big and contented sigh, went to sleep...

I spent that night and much of the next day dreading an imaginary scene at a Vet's office where I would be asked to decide whether to mortgage the house to bankroll a canine colonoscopy or say goodbye to my only just purchased pup. For his part Hudson slept soundly keeping all recently ingested items right where they should be and the next day had a grand time enjoying extra food and walks (to get and keep things "moving") and a visit with every dog that came within a hundred yards of us as I asked the other dog owners what they thought I should do.

In the end, My Beloved was right - the "dispatch" of yarn coming a scant 20 hours after its disappearance. Neat, tidy, painless and drama-free - at least for Hudson!

Now of course in the interests of Poodle longevity, bank balance and peace of mind I have abandoned the "knitting camp" system, packing up after each knitting session. I could do several rows in the time it takes to lay everything out and figure out where I am in preparation for starting. Of course this also eliminates the possibility of knitting during the day so I'm having to adjust to the fact  things are taking a bit longer than usual.

Eventually this shall pass. Hudson will be trained to leave my knitting alone but right now in this current phase of  "see it, chew and possibly eat it" I'm going to have to adjust my approach right along with my suspicion of how much trouble he can and will get into.

Currently our household routine is being adjusted because My Beloved is in India on business. Fortunately since he travels a lot I'm used to adjusting my evenings in his absence to include more knitting than usual so hopefully this week will see the end of this knit in my WIP column - an adjustment to my Ravelry project page I can't wait to make!
As I'm sure you know, I will keep you posted!

...oh there is one other adjustment resulting from the string "event". Darling Daughter reports she is suffering terribly during her daily morning walks with Hudson. 'Seems "everyone" she sees walking a dog asks her if the string has "passed"...its soooooo disgusting! Why did I have to tell everybody?!!  Oh well, I guess like the rest of us adults she'll just have to adjust! (Just like I've adjusted to the school papers Number One Son has "filed" under the armoire beside Hudson in that shot of him sleeping. I'm told they are all important and that he will be getting them out of there as soon as I stop "freaking out about everything". Apparently unlike adults, teenagers don't have to adjust to anything, we all just have to adjust to them! ;) )

Thanks for dropping by!


Anonymous said...

Great story!

Sandra said...

you don't want to know the stuff we saw "a second time" with assorted pups over the years. Sometimes we "found" them again before we even knew they were missing.
I think you need to find some sort of sealable container for projects. I used to use small rubbermaid totes until the boy got old enough to leave things alone.

Rue said...

Oh my. Like most pet stories, that sounds great in the re-telling but I can sympathize with how nerve-wracking that is to go through.

I'm glad both Hudson and your knitting survived the incident!

Brenda said...

It's like a Stewart MacLean episode. Life with dog and knitting. Hee Hee