9.30.2011

"Waving Lace Socks" FO

Yarn: Viola Sock
Colour: Blossom
Needles: 2.25mm dpn's
Start: July 23 Finish: August 9, 2011
Modifications: Used Optional Scalloped Edge (from pattern) at Cuff

'Just over two weeks either side of the August Long weekend to knit these but I coveted them for years and years before that.  I loved the pattern from the first time I flipped through this book. I kept an eye out for a sufficiently soft pink yarn to do the pattern justice almost immediately after that and while I found many options in my travels, one that seemed sufficiently soft and understated to be wearable proved difficult to find.

Then at the 2010 DKC Frolic I discovered Viola yarns. The muted but complex palette in the Viola collection included this wonderful skein of creamy pink...
It took another year to get around to putting the pattern and yarn together but I think the match is perfect.

I used the optional scalloped edge at the cuff - 'love it! 'Adds a little girlie detail that goes well with the pink while staying quite elastic around the calf.

The chart for the socks is easily memorized and the knitting goes fairly quickly. Of course this is especially so once the heel was turned and half the stitches were straight stockinette.


I have to say I'm a bit smitten with the soles of these socks. I found myself admiring them for their nice tidy uniformity. Its not something I've ever really worked at with my knitting (probably the only thing 'truth be told!) but there it is, after hundreds of thousands of repetitions it looks like I've got the hang of stocking stitch!

The "Waves" have a nice, well, "wavy" appearance about them and work rather like ribbing to maintain a  snug fit on the leg.

Sadly, on my leg the result of this wonderful yarn and pattern is something distinctly flesh-like in both colour and texture. A bit too close to my skin tone for my taste...

Nonetheless its satisfying to have this project behind me and  a pair of pale pink ( okay, "skin coloured") socks to look forward to wearing once the weather turns a bit cooler.

And to top it all off Hudson is quite fond of them too!


Hey thanks for dropping by today!

Next up: FO's that resulted from a little "doodling" around with leftover cotton yarn and a stitch dictionary.


5 comments:

LaurieM said...

They are very pretty and I do love that cuff. But I understand what you mean about the color. I once made a pair in a lovely pink and cream that made me think of bacon when knit up!

Rue said...

That color is really lovely! It wouldn't look that great on me either, but it would look stunning on my sister's more olive-colored skin. But you won't notice at all once your pants leg covers the top of the sock!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL.

Lorraine said...

Really nice- don't you wish you had a whole drawerful of handknit socks?

They're wonderful.

Stephanie said...

Oooh, FOs! Socks are perfect for summer, aren't they? Nice and small so that you don't overheat while knitting them.