12.08.2009

"Orange You Glad" Headband FO


Pattern: My Own "Orange You Glad" Headband
Yarns: Sheldridge Farm W4 Soft Touch Silver & Nature Spun Worsted "Orange You Glad"
Needles: 4.5 mm Circular
Start:December 2, Finish: December 4, 2009

I wanted this headband to be just wide enough to cover my ears and I wanted it warm so I made it double thickness with garter stitch on one side and stockinette on the other.

I wanted it tight enough not to slip when I'm walking/running but loose enough not to bug me across my forehead.
I also wanted a bit of thickness to it but not so much as to make it tube like because I wanted it to lie flat.
I chose left over worsted that pretty exactly matches the coats I wear when I walk. BTW the shot below is the most accurate as it relates to colour.

Of course any time you want knitting to neatly turn a corner you throw in a purl row right? The last garter row obviously provided that but then I continued into the stockinette section with the grey for one row to ensure a nice reveal of that colour on the orange side.
I'm pleased with how the gerry rigged three needle bind off worked to join orange and grey sides together. The edge is slightly unyeilding which keeps the headband from moving or slipping down as I move...
And its neat and tidy to boot!


For Anyone Whose Interested, here's exactly what I did to produce this thing...


I sized this for 1.5" negative ease. For my 22" head, at my gauge of 4.5 sts/inch I did the following...
  • With grey yarn loosely CO 92 stitches
  • Rows 1-15 Garter stitch.
  • Change to Orange yarn
  • Rows 16-34 Stocking Stitch.
  • Row 35 Fold work in half lengthwise along line where orange and grey meet. Using the orange yarn, knit one orange stitch on needle together with a stitch picked up and knit from one row below the cast on edge of the grey. Knit another pair of stitches in the same fashion and then treat those two stitches as in 3 needle bind off (pass first stitch over second and off needle). Continue along entire length of piece until all stitches are cast off. In this way, top and bottom are joined and a finished edge between the two created. (Since the orange stockinette section will be slightly smaller or more narrow than the grey garter stitch side the cast on edge naturally lies flat on top of the orange section.)
  • Join garter stitch ends leaving 15" tail of grey yarn
  • Join stockinette stitch ends leaving 15" tail of orange yarn.
  • Using contrasting yarn, stitch X's across seam (orange yarn on grey side, grey yarn on orange side.)
  • Weave in ends and enjoy!
"Orange you Glad" your ears will be warm? I am!

And quite frankly "Hat's Off" to Nature Spun for putting the effort into naming their colours rather than just numbering them - it makes using them so much more fun!

Thanks for dropping by!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Nice! And I agree - colour names are way better than numbers. 599308-4432 just doesn't evoke any kind of feelings...

Acorn to Oak said...

What a great little project. Looks fun, useful and warm. Great pictures too. :-)

Brendaknits said...

That is one darn cute little project. And the coat is gorgeous. Such a great colour.

Tina said...

It looks perfect! Thanks for typing out the “recipe”!