If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a clean desk?
-Laurence J. Peter
I am writing this from a cluttered desk in a cluttered house using a brain that "cluttered" doesn't begin to describe as I address preparation for "The Holidays". That special time of year when house - inside and out and waistline and home baked goodies and social events and hostess gifts and party wear and seasonal decorations ALL need to be attended to. (Thank goodness we can't control the weather because ideally, that should be "just so" as well!) Whatever the standards for the house and home in question, the point is moot because the whole season, however one chooses to embrace it, is just too much! (and the "season" seems, as of this year, to start at 12:01 a.m. Halloween night so it seems endless as well!)
Early in my domestic career this time of year was an intoxicating challenge. I loved scheming and working to make it as magical but as efficient as possible. I have long since managed that and feel lots of satisfaction in it but the sheer volume - literal and mental ...
...IS GETTING IN THE WAY OF KNITTING!
ITS EVEN GETTING IN THE WAY OF THINKING ABOUT KNITTING!
- The latest edition of the Twist Collective came out on Sunday and I was too distracted to focus on its contents.
- I have a wee list of Christmas knits I'd like to enjoy working on but during the day when the recipients are absent the house essentially "screams" at me for attention turning what should be fun knitting into something I need to get done and get past.
- I'm keen to begin scheming my projects for the new year but ditto issues for daytime gift knitting.
- I'd like to spend an hour at Romni doing a bit of research towards those early 2010 plans. I can't justify three or four otherwise productive domestic hours on such an indulgence.
- I want to get my hands on a copy of the new Interweave Holiday edition . I'm keen to tackle something (actually several somethings)from it but even if I manage to find a copy, focusing on it will no doubt be an issue.
- I'm trying to focus on my knitting in the evening to knit error free and get the two sweaters I'm so close to finishing done but this too is proving to be more of a challenge than the knitting really demands. I may leave my desk behind but my brain clutter stays with me whatever my location!
One thing's for sure - I just won't have it! (At least not for long!) I'm going to put my head down and get a bunch of stuff done and out of the way so I can banish the Holiday "clutter" to make way for much more entertaining variety- Knitting "clutter" - desk, brain, and all!
And if you're naturally wondering why I'd waste time blogging about having no time - 20 minutes at the keyboard and I've one less bit of "stuff" to carry around in my head! Thanks for dropping by and helping me straighten things out!