1.13.2009

This is what "a curse" looks like knit in red alpaca

For those of you who haven't been following along, this is the third try for this scarf which was cast on the first time last winter!


I've dropped a stitch and I can't pick it up. There's so much fuzz I can't make out what to do with it and every time I pick it back up to the needle it still looks wonkey.
I'm now in the 10,000 stitch range on this knit and its doing wonderful things for my fledgling continental technique. Serious, unbroken repetition is wicked for building muscle memory (and apparently also dropping stitches!)
An ominous waviness seems to be developing.  Look how straight the cast on edge is compared to the ribbing. If it persists through to completion it might give the whole thing a feminine flair that won't be really ideal on that charcoal grey coat of my 6'2" tall Beloved. I may have to adopt it bringing my hand knit red scarf collection to three. There are worse things but I was really looking forward to making something for him.

In contrast to this though the Celtic Tote is coming along very nicely. Its my first knit bag and the construction of the sides and base are new techniques for me. I hope to finish up the knitting tonight. Then it will be on to the shadow embroidery, assembly, and then the fulling. With a cold snap on the way it will be lovely indeed to be plunging and swishing the thing around in steaming hot water  - hopefully by week's end!

3 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

I feel your pain and frustration with that lost stitch. I hate it when that happens. I hope you can get it figured out. It looks beautiful and sooo soft! That's exciting that it's helping you with continental knitting. :- )

Anonymous said...

With the fuzziness, even if the stitch looks weird now when you pick it up, it probably won't show when the scarf is done. And a good blocking should take care of the waviness! It's a beautiful yarn!
Barb

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the Continental style. I have never persisted as you have done. Oh - That's why it is still difficult for me. The dropped stitch is a pin though. Good luck with it.