The FO and the Frogging

The FO...

I finished the Good Old Work Socks. As I had feared I did run out of yarn and had to make contrasting toes. I used extra black yarn from the Copy Cat Socks. Its a bit too contrasty for my taste but my Beloved is pleased so off to the sock drawer and the FO list the project goes!

To recap sock details...
Yarn: Lana Grossa Meilenweit Marmi Colour #7008
Needles: 2.5mm dpns
Pattern: My Own (K4P1 rib on 80 stitches, increasing to 85 after the cuff, gusset heel, round toe.

As for the frogging...

I'm frogging the Debbie Bliss Cabled Socks despite being at the heel of the second sock. I have already finished and given one pair of these away as a Christmas gift

My original plan was to make three pairs of this same sock because...
  1. I love knitting with Cashmerino

  2. The pattern is easy and straightforward and fast!

  3. I need to perfect my short row technique
The slouchy fit I was going for isn't there and the yarn just screams out for it. I also have want to try some striped socks a la Grumperina's recent striped sock tutorial so I think I'll devote that yarn and the cashmerino in the stash originally intended for the third pair to that end. I'm also frogging a pair of plain knee highs I was working on to determine the best size for my legs. The size of the calf on that first sock is utterly depressing! With the cuff above it, the thing looks more like a small skirt than a sock. I have Clessidra on my list for someday so I'll just get rid of these plain ones, send that yarn back to the stash and wait until I have something with a little more detail to distract me from the width I seem to need.

Henry is coming along slowly. It's a pleasure to feel that Drops Alpaca slide through my hands and over the needles and with 452 stitches per row its not like there is frequent pesky turning or anything. With such long rows the pattern encourages you to check frequently to ensure the herringbone pattern is coming along correctly because "They're long rows to work backwards if you make a mistake!" The fuzziness of the yarn makes checking at row #6 of the pattern very difficult - especially over the full length of the work. So I'm knitting and hoping at the end of each row I arrive at the final stitches correctly. So far so good.

It took me three tries to get the tubular cast on to work with the first three following set-up rows. Ripping out was not good with this yarn or to it for that matter so I just hope once I can make out the pattern I don't then find I made some bone headed mistake. Fingers crossed!

No comments: