4.29.2015

Copy Cat!

I've been trying, since Saturday to download "Elmont" from the Brooklyn Tweed web site. They've responded to my emails with a temporary password that should get me in but so far, no luck.

Meanwhile I've got a washed, blocked swatch with a lovely, light fabric bang on the yarn's recommended gauge of 26st/4" and an almost manic desire to cast on already!

I've also got a rising sense of panic as Cottage Opening approaches yet I've no project to enjoy during the multiple hour drive there and back, an evening by the fire and a Sunday morning pot of coffee lakeside.

Sooooo what's a knitter to do? Be a "Copy Cat"! (Remember, in grade 2 or so, when being accused of copying was among the worst of possible accusations? Funny how, once grown up, doing just that morphs in the "uber" positive label of "being on-trend"!)

But I digress...

Yesterday, during subway rides downtown and back - knitting in my head if not my hands - I hatched Plan "B" wherein I embrace Copy Catting for all I'm worth...

After a virtual visit at Steven Self's blog this morning revisiting his 2x4's I've dug out remnant sock yarn from these...
                                                 
in preparation for casting on what I will refer to as "Self Socks". After noting down the details Steven so kindly and clearly includes in his post I plan to shamelessly copy them - right down to the Eye of Partridge heel I've been meaning to use for years. They will serve as an insurance project in case my second copied idea flounders (don't want to waver on my year of project monogamy!) and may well stay at the cottage in the unlikely event I arrive there some time without knitting or finish something ahead of schedule while I'm there.

As for "Elmont" - I'm going to copy the ideas therein but work it without benefit of having the pattern. Its very similar to what I've just finished with the repurposed yarn and will give me a chance to work EZ's bottom up raglan decreases just now on the heels of working her yoke neck instructions.

I've used the eyelet detail before on this cowl...
                                                 
And I'll work it again here in remnant cream yarn from my late mother's stash. This blanket...

                                                 

...didn't come close to using it up. The creamy white will be of minimal contrast, like the version pictured in the pattern which, after looking at the other projects on Ravelry, is most appealing to me.

Kind of like this fellow...


Most appealing! Now I'm off to get this guy walked with a happy and now relaxed knitter's head atop my Copy Catter's body! Thanks for dropping by!

2 comments:

Steven said...

Copy away! A little something I should add. I had to "shift" the stitches before starting the heel, effectively splitting a 2-purl gutter in half on each end. Hope that makes sense -- you can probably see it in the pictures.

Oh -- and I love the pictures of that creamy white blanket. And that creamy white Hudson!

Needles said...

I love the pictures of the blanket and Hudson, but utterly captivated me was the swatch. That is going to be so lovely.