1.16.2015

Everything Old is New Again

This is the first sweater I ever knit...
                                       ...30 years ago this month.

Its the only sweater from that first venture into knitting still in my possession.

Last month I saw a cropped, bulky sweater just like this one, in this same bottle green colour, in the window of a trendy shop. Now the sweater still fits and when I sought their counsel both kids gave the "look" their blessing for someone of my vintage. So why not wear it again here at home this winter instead of only "anonymously" at the cottage early spring and late fall? Its not a bad knitting job for the first time out of the gate and on an improvised pattern and its been around such a long time it feels like an old friend......in need of a bit of sprucing up.

Not knowing any better I did a terrible job putting the thing together.

It has a way-too-tight cast off atop the collar. (Actually hurts a bit to pull it past my face!)

I've already spent about an hour shaving off pills and lightly brushing it to minimize its Acrylic "vibe". I did, after all, get the yarn for this in the 80's. (Pingouin Knit Shops anybody?!)

What's really required though is to take it apart and reassemble it properly.

I'll also remove, then rework, the collar to make it into that "mock neck" from the shop window and one that fits better without a tightly bound off edge.

First though - I've a pretty good feeling about finishing Hawser this weekend! Its blocked, I've picked up for the collar ready for knitting and sorted a new rate of increase for the sleeves. I've also got some pay-per-view plans given the Academy Award Nominations that will be just perfect for the simple knitting that remains and NO OTHER COMMITMENTS before next week! I'm kind of giddy at the prospect!

Have a great weekend! Thanks for dropping by!









10 comments:

Steven said...

I always enjoy seeing blasts from the past. Don't be too hard on yourself. I think that's a fantastic first sweater.

Tina said...

Lucky you to still have this!
I gave away all my 80's acrylic sweaters years ago... Not ven pictures :(

Sandra said...

love the sweater (i had a similar one from that vintage...) And I still have a pretty big collection of Pingouin magazines! They were my go to for baby knitting back then...

Brendaknits said...

I am so not a keeper of stuff. The only thing I still have from 30 years ago is my hubby.

LynS said...

I so admire your willingness to modify and improve knitted garments you've already completed. I also have some knitted garments from my past - one very worn jumper (sweater) dates from the mid-sixties - but I'm afraid I am now significantly larger than my jumper!

Anonymous said...

This was the Pingouin shop in the basement of the Eaton Centre? Yes I used to go ogle the yarns and pattern books.
I should take a picture of the cardigan in deep turquoise yarn with white faux-silk slubs all over it …
That was actually made in Pingouin yarn.
I look forward to seeing your refashioning!

Anonymous said...

Oops I was too anonymous just now.
That was me with the turquoise cardigan.
LisaRR

Lorraine said...

Marie- Omg, yes. I do remember that Pinguoin shop in the Eaton Center. I made many baby outfits- they had wonderful patterns.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to report that my mother says we gave the turquoise cardigan to a new home some years back - someone who said they would wear it!
Pre-Ravelry I just didn't take photos of my knitting … too bad.
Yes I did make baby outfits as well from the Pingouin magazines.
I also remember making a sleeveless summer garter stitch sweater from a ribbon yarn …
ah the 1980s!
LisaRR

TrishD said...

I used to hand at at the Pinguoin store too! And I still have some really nice Pinguoin patterns that have stood the test of time. Congrats for keeping your sweater this long and for the patience to restructure it now!