5.16.2011

Old School

I'm very "old school" - 'have been as long as I can remember. (Probably many knitters are inclined at least a little bit in that direction don't you think?)

So its probably not surprising that I'm becoming more interested in the kind of wool from which the craft originated and blossomed and patterns that are serviceable as well as fashionable. I want to work with and wear wool chosen for the attributes of a minimally processed fleece. I'm keen to have a wardrobe with the warmth of wool through the autumn and early spring without turning to the thermostat to keep me comfortable. Hence my interest in a designer like Kate Davies who wears her knits to hike up mist shrouded Scottish mountains, camp alongside chilly Lochs and stride to the shops for this or that.

So, as I posted a while ago, I decided to knit Kate Davie's "Deco", in the same Blacker Corriedale (a "fine, crimpy yarn soft enough to wear next to the skin") she used.  Spun at a mill in Cornwall on the Devon border, the fleeces originate in the Faulkland Islands.

The company that produces the yarn...

...believe(s) in buying and making local, and are convinced there is a future for high-quality UK-manufactured goods:
  • We source almost everything from Britain and we make only here, too;
How old school is that? I love it!


But as I placed my order on line I discovered the delivery rate was almost identical to the cost of the yarn so, as the site recommends, I contacted them by email for a delivery quote using "Royal Mail" rather than a delivery company.

That rate was quickly quoted as 12 rather than 32 pounds but to get that rate I have to place the order by phone or write them a note and submit it by mail.

Guess which alternative I chose...


Thanks for dropping by!

8 comments:

pendie said...

Good for you! I hear that public schools are questioning the need for cursive writing because of computers

Brendaknits said...

Even that isn;t cheap. I hope the yarn lives up to your expectations.

Mary Keenan said...

writing paper and envelopes - mmmm! (can't wait to see what colour you got!)

LynS said...

I was very impressed by the Blacker yarns when I saw some of them at 'I Knit' in London last year. I'll be interested to see how they work out for you. I've also considered knitting the 'Deco' cardigan for my daughter because I love the design, but Kate Davies recommends knitting it to quite a tight gauge to enhance the stitch definition. I swatched with the sport weight yarn I had and found the fabric was quite dense. It looked good, but I thought it would be too warm for the very mild winter climate in which my daughter lives. So, I'll take vicarious pleasure from your knitting this pattern!

Lisa R-R said...

Sounds like an exciting adventure. I look forward to the finished product.
I have faith!

Sandra said...

I still mail birthday cards to family and friends. THere's something satisfying about sending the card, and even more, getting someting like that in the mail. I'm sure my nieces and nephews are dumbfounded by the concept, but I'll continue doing it.
Looking forward to seeing the sweater.

Rue said...

What fun! I love the idea of handwriting a note to order yarn. I hope the this sweater project is as delightful as all of the prep work!

Stephanie said...

Oh, I like that alternative. I love writing notes; I'm thinking of writing letters to all my closest college friends now that we've graduated thanking them for all the ways they've influenced my life. I also agree with you about Kate Davies. I probably wouldn't like her work as much except that she has that same attitude about decking herself out in wool for all seasons, rather than some man-made fiber or heat. Really, we did well enough without all of that, we don't have to always rely solely on heating. Save some money and gas, wear a wool sweater!