10.13.2010

Progress of Sorts

I have all but completed the first saddle shoulder and having taken it off the needles onto a piece of yarn, I'm quite satisfied with the fit.  The trouble is my stitch count either side of the saddle, in the section that runs under the arm is waaaaaaaay off. I have 13 stitches each side of the saddle in excess of what I should have.

This goes back to the number of stitches picked up and knit in the first row that joins front and back and forms the foundation for construction of the saddle.

At the time I was picking up and knitting stitches along that edge I did find the language in the instructions as to the total stitch count for that row to be confusing...

Anyway I've spent a couple of evenings trying to sort out the correct way to go about things by working on the other sleeve. Unfortunately the language for that sleeve basically says to do what was done for the other side except reversing directions so...I cast on for some socks...

I didn't finish the socks I have in progress...

I cast on new ones.  Why does that feel better than spending time on another WIP?

2 comments:

Brendaknits said...

Those extra stitches can drive a knitter bonkers. They sometimes seem to drop form the sky.

Rue said...

Oh my, that sounds frustrating. I don't suppose you could just fudge it and take good notes for the other shoulder, could you? Perhaps it had something to do with row vs stitch gauge? If one direction gave you measurements in stitches while the other gave measurements in inches, that might be the source of the problem.

Hopefully that new sock will help!