6.05.2009

Je t'aime Babette!

Babette has been all over knit (crochet) blog land for a while - I liked it from the first time I laid eyes on the design. While I can crochet (I don't think it was possible to be into crafting, live through the 70's and not learn to crochet!) I don't enjoy it and I have a millionty things I want to knit and for which I already have the yarn on hand. I liked Babette but I didn't LOVE it.

Until I saw this version being worked up by local LYS owner Haley from Knit-o-Matic. I'd seen her posts of the growing piles of squares and I was looking so forward to seeing the collection face on and finally this morning - there it was.  I could live with that muted lovely! 'Question will be...can I give up the knitting time to crochet it!

The trip northward to the cottage in the morning will give me some time to think about the question of Babette as I work on my second attempt at the Retro Rib Socks.  The larger needles (2.75mm up from the 2.25 with which I knit the first, but now frogged sock) are yielding more generous ribbing just as I had hoped they would. I may go down to 2.5 mm when I get below the calf. The plan is to also add length to the leg and not surprisingly the larger needles are helping with that too as the row gauge has of course also taken a leap.

I just realized yesterday how close to the end of the school year we are!  The cooler weather combined with the effect of kind of losing a couple of months between mid February and the end of April has really messed with my internal clock.  The kids being in very different school routines this year for the first time has also probably had an effect.  Bottom line, however things may seem, in about three weeks Number One Son and I will be moving camp to the cottage full time! I am hopeful with that shift I will really start moving through my queue at something closer to my normal pace. If that happens Babette may become a possibility sooner than I think. In the meantime, I will just follow along with Haley.

Thanks for dropping by - have a great weekend!  




2 comments:

Sandra said...

full time at the cottage - how lucky! I make do with every possible weekend and a week in August...
I will be in your neck of the woods at some point in the summer - A weekend at Horseshoe awaits...

Brenda said...

I love the colours of the shop's Babette, but even so, it wouldn't convince me to sew together all those squares.