12.02.2008

Hustle, Bustle and Sleep?

I resent sleep as a productivity hog of the highest order. I was 30 years old before I indulged in anything but the occasional full night's rest.

I now know productivity can be multiplied tenfold on the strength of proper sleep - compelling for this "Type A" - but old habits die hard. I give up sleep to have time to myself (okay - time to knit - even if I don't start before 11:00 pm!) that's been happening a lot lately so yesterday afternoon I hit a wall.

To practice what I preach to the kids I decided to heed my body's cues and rest a bit - almost unthinkable for me - on the chesterfield with a blanket over me, I slept for 20 minutes and awoke feeling nothing short of spectacular! The rest of the day felt calm and effortlessly focused - rather at odds with a season crammed with inescapable deadlines.
So this is my wallpaper today - to make me mindful of myself. Today I'll be back on the road shopping and doing holiday related errands before an afternoon of baking. Nonetheless I hope to take a few minutes and work in the light of day on getting back into the Big Cabled Pullover. Knitting in the middle of a weekday is not something I would normally do. But that piece is spectacularly close to FO status and frankly the project basket for it is so huge I'd like to get it out of the way in preparation for the tree going up this weekend. I hope you take time to take care of yourself today - whatever pressures are weighing on you, and wherever you are!

2 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Sometimes a quick snooze can be a wonderful thing!

What a cute blanket you have on your sofa.

Have a wonderful day!

Tina said...

I love to take a nap, just 15 to 20 minutes on the couch, I feel so refreshed after. But I don’t do it often enough because I make myself think there is so much things to do that I can’t lay down even for a few minutes… So wrong! Knitting a few stitches on the other hand is ok, though, that’s productive, no?