11.21.2008

The Snow Clearly Shows I AM "Canadian" Eh!

On Ravelry I'm "Canadian Eh!" but its true of my outlook on life in general - as demonstrated by my Pavlovian response to that uber Canadian phenomenon - SNOW.

For example while I was joking in my Monday post about getting fluff in my teeth at the Knitty "Yarn Tasting" I didn't share that I have actually"tasted" yarn many times in the past. The hand knit wool mittens of my childhood, studded with little balls of snow formed on the fluff of the wool were often nibbled from the backs of my hands. That sensation of eating those cold fluff laced little snow balls crossed my mind more than once yesterday as our first big dump of snow also prompted a sudden and powerful weather induced sense of ...

Christmasisjustaroundthecorner!

Had I persevered over the glare ice the storm brought Wednesday night and made it to the DKC meeting featuring a talk on felting I might have had visions of possible felted projects to ponder yesterday instead of pre-holiday panic. But I bailed on my attempt to slip and slide my way to the subway and headed back to my knitting basket for the evening prompting my Darling Daughter to accuse me of being "un-Canadian".

Tomorrow we'll demonstrate Canadian toughness though when we travel to get the snow tires put on my my little five speed in My Beloved's home town. Its in the snow belt in an area set to receive a couple of feet of snow tonight. As with many other things on the to do list this trip is overdue - they hardly had any snow up there a week ago! Its worth the trip though because we're able to store the summer tires there over the winter until we need them again next spring. Its a two and a half hour drive each way and I plan to knit the sleeves of my Big Cabled Pullover and probably panic a bit more about what's ahead on the domestic front in the next few weeks as the increasingly snowy countryside we'll drive through no doubt prompts even more weather induced realizations of the season.

I am "Canadian Eh!"

2 comments:

Sandra said...

the snow we have makes the fact that I got my snow tires put on on the warmest day of November, all worth while...

Acorn to Oak said...

The snow and cold sound really nice! I love living in sunny Southern California but a change would be great...espeically, a little precipitation! Happy knitting and good luck with getting the snow tires.